Sandy Sherman, a native of New Hampshire, has been painting in the traditional manner since 1980. She enjoys creating many still life paintings using interesting effects of light and color. She derives inspiration for painting landscapes from the natural beauty surrounding her studio at Crescent Pond in Stoddard, N.H.
Memberships: Keene Art Association, Copley Society of Boston, Women's Caucus For Art, Academic Artist Association, Catharine Lorillard Wolf Art Club, Inc.
Education: Sherman studied for three years with Richard Whitney where she learned the basics of classical realism. She also studied with Debbie Crowder and Peter Granucci.
Exhibitions and Competitions: "Annual National Exhibition of Contemporary Realism in Art", sponsored by the Academic Artists Association of Springfield, MA, 1980, 1988, 1989. 1990, 1991,1992, 1996, 1999. Members Award For Graphics and Merit Award in Oil.
"New England Exhibition", sponsored by the Cape Cod Art Association, Barnstable, MA, 1987, 1989, 1990.
"Annual Exhibition for Women Artists", sponsored by the Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club, Inc., in New York City, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1999. Ida Becker Fund Award for Graphics and Salmagundi Award.
"Annual Regional Juried Exhibition of Paintings, Prints, and Drawings", sponsored by the Sharon Arts Center, Sharon, NH, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995. Merit Award for Painting.
"Annual Fall Juried Exhibition", sponsored by the Southern Vermont Art Center, Manchester, VT, 1984, 1985.
Richard Whitney, PhD.H
Dr. Richard Whitney has been named one of the top dozen portrait painters in America by Town and Country magazine. He has painted more than 400 portraits including numerous CEOs of industry, presidents of universities and political leaders as well as family and individual portraits. Dr. Whitney has painted nine US Governors including Mitt Romney; US Senators Tom McIntyre, Judd Gregg and James Webb, Jr.; Nobel Laureates Paul Samuelson and Phillip Sharp; Secretary of Labor Robert Reich; Cardinal Humberto Medeiros; Father McGivney, Founder of the Knights of Columbus; and actor, Ethan Hawke.
Dr. Whitney is the author of the book Painting the Visual Impression which summarizes the basic principles of representational painting. First published in 1972, it has been read by artists world-wide and is regarded as a classic in its field.
Born in 1946, he studied with the eminent Boston painter, R. H. Ives Gammell, for five years. Richard graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 1968 and was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree in 2015. He has won over 50 regional and national awards as well as three grants from the Greenshields Foundation of Montreal. His work hangs in the Anchorage Museum of Art and History; the Newark Museum; the Pentagon; Harvard, Yale, and Stanford Universities and the Catholic University of Portugal. In 2017, he received the Lotte Jacobi Living Treasure Award from the State of New Hampshire.
Richard is an Honorary Member of both the Allied Artists of America and the American Artists Professional League. He is also a member of the Guild of Boston Artists and a Lifetime Member of the Copley Society of Art . Other memberships have included the National Arts Club, the Players and the Society of Illustrators. He is recognized as an ARC Living Master by the Art Renewal Center, the world's largest on line art museum. Richard has lectured and conducted portrait workshops throughout the United States. He is listed in Who's Who in American Art, Who’s Who in America and Who's Who in the World.
Selected Awards Collections
On May 16th, 2015, the University of New Hampshire conferred on Richard the honorary degree of Doctor of Fine Arts
“in recognition of distinguished attainments.”
The Honorary Degree Citation reads in part “you have been hailed as one of the “giants of the field” of figurative painting, creating hundreds of portraits and landscapes that hang in more than 750 public and private collections around the world.”
Selected (From Over 400 Commissions)
- Governor Mitt Romney - Massachusetts State House
- Marlin Fitzwater - Presidential Press Secretary to Reagan and Bush Sr.
- Robert Reich - Secretary of Labor under President Clinton
- James Webb Jr. - Secretary of the Navy under President Bush Sr.
- US Senator Thomas J. McIntyre and Senator Junie Blaisdell of New Hampshire
- Eight Governors of New Hampshire: Craig Benson, Hugh Gregg, John King, Walter Peterson, Hugh Gallen, Vesta Roy, John Sununu & Judd Gregg
- NH Supreme Court Chief Justices: Frank Kenison, David Brock, John King, John Broderick & Linda Dalianis; Senior Justice Gary Hicks & Justice Carol Conboy & Charles Douglas
- Alain Briottet - Consul General of France
- Kevin Harrington, Jr. - Senate President of Massachusetts
- Edward J. McCormack, Jr. - Attorney General of Massachusetts
- Ed Fox - Sallie Mae
- Lane Kirkland, President - AFL-CIO
- John Cunningham, Executive Vice President - Wang Corporation
- John J. Shields, III, CEO - Prime Computer Corporation
- Bruce Ferguson - Developer of the Pegasus Rocket
- Takezo Hirato, CEO - Mazda Corporation, Yokohama
- Yasuyuki Nambu, CEO - Temporary Center, Tokyo
- John A. Caddell, CEO -Blount Construction Corporation, Montgomery
- Robert Shafto, CEO - The New England Insurance Company
- Wilson Wilde, CEO - Hartford Steamboiler Inspection & Insurance Company
- Philip Koerner, CEO - National Grange Mutual Corporation
- Stuart Watson, CEO - Heublein Corporation
- Dr. James Houck, CEO - Institute of Living, Hartford
- Leo Kraszeski, CEO - Sailors Snug Harbor, Sea Level, NC
- Douglas E. Oleson, CEO - Battelle Corporation
- Attorney David Armstrong, Pittsburgh
- Paul Samuelson & Phillip Sharp, Nobel Laureates - MIT
- Cardinal Humberto Medeiros - Catholic University of Portugal
- Actor Ethan Hawke - The Players, NYC
- Pat & Lori McGovern, Benefactors - McGovern Brain Institute, MIT
- Dr. Paul Beeson, O.B.E., Dr. David A. Kessler, Dr. Hanna Gray, Dr. Susan Hockfield & Dr. Bruce Shields - Yale University
- Rev. Paul Karnes, President - Unitarian Universalist Association of America
- William A. Treat, Benefactor - University of Maine
- Tanio Nakamura, Curator - Tokyo National Museum
- A.Sadeghi-Nejad - Minister of Culture for Iran
- Herbert & Paulie Emilson, Benefactors - South Shore Hospital
- Mary Macdonald, Nick Thorndike, James Mongan - Mass. General Hospital
- Dr. J. William Littler, Pioneer Hand Surgeon - Roosevelt Hospital
- Dr. Victor Dzau - Brigham & Women’s Hospital
- Dr. Nelson Kiang, Dr. Saumil Merchant and Dr. Joseph Nadol - Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary
- Strobe Talbott, The Brookings Institute, Washington
- Economist Otto Eckstein - Harvard University
- Dr. James Glenn, CEO - Mt. Sinai Hospital
- Dr. Robert Chase - Stanford University School of Medicine
- Father McGivney, Founder - Knights of Columbus
- Gregory H. Williams, Dean - Ohio State University School of Law
- Rev. Dr. Malcolm J. Sutherland, Jr. - University of Chicago
- Ralph Manuel, Provost & W. Lee Pelton, Dean - Dartmouth College
- Edwin J. Delattre, President - St. Johns College
- John Curry & Kenneth Ryder, Presidents Emeritus - Northeastern University
- Ruth Chauncey Bishop, Dean & Roberta Smith - N. E. Genealogical Society
- Dr. Ricardo Azziz, Founder & President, Georgia Regents University
- Buster Navins, Marty & Patty Doggett - the Governors Academy
- Philip Mescon, President - Columbus State University
- Edward Carlson, Roy Carlson, Brian Carlson, Carol Matteson - Mt. Ida College
- Edwin H. Welch, President - University of Charleston
- Joseph Curry, Headmaster - Cushing Academy
- James Birge, President - Franklin Pierce University
- Richard Unsworth, Headmaster - Berkshire School
- William McMillan, Headmaster - Pine Crest School
- Dominic S. F. Lee, Benefactor - Anchorage Historical and Fine Arts Museum
- Thomas Brush, Blanch Goldenberg, John Ratte, Russ Weigel & Andrew Carter - Loomis Chaffee School
- Leonard Natman - Brooklyn Academy of Music
- Gifford Foley, Benefactor - The Kent School
- Stuart & Monie Chase & Gerald Mayer - Eaglebrook School
- David & Mary Barber - King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Bermuda
View Richard's Gallery
"Your exhibition at the Guild is simply marvelous. The wonderful sense of variety in the moods of nature and those truly fine portraits made up for a show of distinction. You have created an exhibition of stunning singularity."
— Robert Douglas Hunter, Artist
"I am taking this opportunity to express our delight with the portrait. Our expectations were high, but they have been surpassed. We are so pleased and such admirers of Richard's painting that we have become collectors."
— John J. Shields, III